Wineslacker

It's a blog for winelovers. It's a blog for slackers. It's the lazy drinker's reference for cheap, high value wines. You know, the bargain wines you just don't know if you should take a chance on; maybe in the supermarket or drug store. If you want advice on grand cru, well, everyone knows where to get that: get yourself one of those slick, expensive mags. This is a blog, man; prices and spellings are the best we can do, but, don't hold us to 'em. Photos are under copyright.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Some wonderful wine quotes, purloined from The Wrath of Grapes, a long lived and disheveled web site emanating from Ireland. Who, but the Irish, could put together so many gleeful words about wine, or for that matter, anything.

"When I find someone I respect writing about an edgy, nervous wine that dithered in the glass, I cringe. When I hear someone I don't respect talking about an austere, unforgiving wine, I turn a bit austere and unforgiving myself. When I come across stuff like that and remember about the figs and bananas, I want to snigger uneasily. You can call a wine red, and dry, and strong, and pleasant. After that, watch out..."
Kingsley Amis, Everyday Drinking

"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret."
John Cleese (Basil Fawlty) Fawlty Towers

"A German wine label is one of the things life's too short for, a daunting testimony to that peculiar nation's love of detail and organization."
Kingsley Amis Everyday Drinking

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home